Single Point Load Cells With Given High Accuracy and High Reliability
- Accuracy in weighing and measuring
- IP66 water resistance and corrosion resistance
- Ideal for commercial and industrial weighing systems
- Compact in dimension for places where mounting space are limited
Single Point Load Cells for Various Industrial Applications
You are going to find different beam beam load cells which are easy to operate and insensitive to side, corner loads and off-center loads.
Suited to build small or medium-sized platform scales & offer excellent off-center loading compensation
A single point load cell is a very popular load cell choice and accounts for the greatest percentage of load cells worldwide.
What makes single-point load cells unique is their high accuracy and high reliability.
Because of the fact that single point load cell is nearly a part of every industrial weighing platform scale, it’s also known as “platform load cell”.
The general use of single pint load cells is in low capacity compact weighing systems and industrial equipment.
Furthermore, its ability to accept off-center load makes it unique and this also means that they will accurately measure weight if it’s placed anywhere on the scale.
The most interesting thing about single point load cell is that it provides highly precise measurements in any industrial application and environment.
Single point load cell is industry-standard equipment for weighing small or large items.
The single point load cell can experience different versatile environmental conditions usually because of its square or rectangular design.
For this reason, a standard single point load cell must meet the following requirements:
• Durability & Repeatability
• Simple, fast commissioning and maintenance
• Cost efficiency
Industrial platform scales have further requirements, for example, a high IP rating to protect the sensitive weighing components and single point load cell from the following:
• High-pressure hot water jets
• Steam cleaning nozzles
Single point load cells are manufactured according to these requirements and specially designed for the harsh environmental conditions that platform scales often experience.
The standard design of single point load cell is fully welded and hermetically sealed stainless steel.
Moreover, these load cells are fitted with a durable polyurethane cable having high resistance against UV radiation, impacts, and chemical attacks.
The more technically-advanced single point load cells are wireless but overall feature identical design, functionality, and materials.
Single point load cells are proven to be highly productive for many industrial weighing systems as they are cost-optimized, reliable, and repeatable with the IP rating and level of precision to suit the application.
- Because pneumatic load cells offer perfect mechanical balance, they are employed in quality checks and safety applications. This may be required for anything as basic as detecting if an IV bag is distributing properly or whether it needs replacement.
Load cell type
Benefits of single point load cell
It’s ideal for weighing on small vessels and hoppers, conveyor belts, or scales from 300g to 2 tons.
Its universal value and extreme use in every industrial environment make it one of the best-selling load cells worldwide and it also offers the following benefits:
- Robust and hygienic solution: A single-point load cell acts as a comprehensive solution for weighing processes that require hygienic equipment. With its advanced technology, it’s easy to set up, enabling a faster and more cost-effective installation process.
- Quick and easy set-up: Single-point load cells are pre-calibrated and don’t require any on-site calibration in many applications. Mechanical protection devices are not necessary when installing single-point load cells.
- High weighing accuracy: The quality and performance of a single-point load cell define its precision and weighing accuracy.
Therefore, manufacturers must provide top-quality load cells so that an accuracy of 0.05%-0.025% can be met that cover a total measurement range from 0 to 150 kg.
- Reliable & low-cost: The single-point load cell is largely unaffected by overloads, side loads, shocks, and welding voltages because of its separate capacitive sensor.
Therefore, straightforward mechanical installation of load cell is possible that also eliminates the expense of complicated mounting kits and overload protection devices.
- Fewer start-up costs: Because of the fact that single-point load cells are already calibrated at the factory, it eliminates the need for recalibration and eliminates any relative start-up costs.
- Extremely sensitive: Single point load cell and detect small changes and measure small loads meaning utilizing very small changes in resistance. Thanks to its simple design and versatile materials, it is extremely durable even at high sensitivity.
- Simple maintenance: Its standard design and simple connectivity make it easy to replace any part without the need for recalibration.
- High versatility & noise-proof: Single point load cells are manufactured from a wide variety of materials and are suitable for very large and small loads, with many levels of accuracy.
This makes them easy to design for any application. As they’re mostly digital, single-point load cells produce no noise and keep the environment noise-free.
Features of Single Point Load Cell
Every type of single point load cell contains different secondary features, but the primary features that are part of every single point load cell are the following:
- High reliability & accuracy
- Protection rated (usually IP67, IP66, IP65)
- Usually constructed of alloy steel, stainless steel, or aluminum
Features of the single point load cells we can offer are the following:
- Platform sizes from 200 x 200 mm up to 1200 x 1200 mm
- Capacities from 300g to 2 tons
The reduction in noise, simpler design, and digital output make our single-point load cell extremely productive.
Design features of the single point load cell are the following:
- Internal features:
- Strain gauges
- Off-center loading
- External features:
- Protective potting
- Fixed ‘static’ end
- Corner adjusted
- Free loaded end
Figure – Internal and External View of a Single Point Load Cell
We also offer different customizations and configurations of your single-point load cells to meet your specific requirements.*****
Applications of Single Point Load Cell
Single point load cells are part of nearly 70% of the industrial weighing systems used in many small to medium-sized scale applications, for example:
- Counting scales
- Harsh environment small platforms
- Wending machines
- Pricing scales
- Counting scales
- Industrial filling and dosing processes
- Postal scales
- Food scales
- Industrial weighing
- On-board weighing
- Medical weighing
- Pharmaceutical processes
- Bag fillers
- Retail & construction
Furthermore, these are not the only weighing equipment or applications of single point load cells and they have the potential to serve in many more applications and industrial environments.
Working principle & design of Single Point Load Cell
The defining characteristic of a single-point load cell is its ability to accommodate off-center loading.
In general, maintaining the load and aligning it with the load cell can maximize the weighing accuracy of your single-point load cell.
If the weight moves off-axis, it introduces errors. On the other hand, single point load cells due to their geometric design allow for some flexibility and can thus maintain accurate weighing even if the weight is unevenly distributed.
What makes single point load cells are a perfect choice for platform scales is their ability to provide accurate readings even in versatile conditions.
Single point load cells are of enormous value as they eliminate the chances of any human error in placements.
Moreover, they help avoid the need for specialist equipment or training to simply get accurate weighing measurements.
A single point load cell, like any other technologically-advanced load cell, is a primary transducer that converts force/weight into an electrical signal.
They do so with the help of strain gauges, which are attached to the body of the single-point load cell.
The shape of a single point load cell deforms under load/weight and this change in shape is detected by the strain gauges. Afterward, these strain gauges distort in unison with the body, resulting in a change in voltage.
The voltage, strain gauges generated, is proportional to the initial weight/load and can be used to accurately calculate it.
Single point load cells come in a vast library of shapes and sizes to accommodate different types of applications and weighing equipment.
Every single point load cell features a geometrically precise cut-out of the body that’s known as “inner aperture”.
The inner aperture of a single point load cell visually distinguishes it from other load cells and makes it exceptional.
Moreover, it controls the thickness of the metal at various points across the single-point load cell body.
It’s the key to the load cell’s ability to accommodate off-center loading. The manufacturing material for single-point load cells is either high-grade aluminum or stainless steel.
Depending on the degree of environmental protection required by your single point load cell, they come in both potted or hermetically-sealed versions.
At CUBLiFT, we have a comprehensive catalog of single-point load cells accommodating both small and large volume orders.
Technical specifications of the Single Point Load Cell
Single point load cell is known to be exceptional, universal, and extremely versatile due to its dynamic load ranging from a few grams to tons.
They offer high accuracies and feature many dynamic weighing characteristics that make them ideally suited for many industrial applications.
A wide selection of low range force measurement applications such as the following took advantage of the exceptional design of low profile single point load cells to increase the overall industrial productivity:
- Research & development
The primary use of single-point load cells is for compression measurements.
The following are the technical specifications of our single point load cell:
- Rated capacities: From 300 grams to 2 tons
- Rated output: 2 mV/V (FSO)
- Output tolerance: ±0.5% R.O
- Combined error band: ≤ 0.02% FSO
- Non-repeatability: ≤ 0.02% FSO
- Hysteresis: ≤ 0.02% FSO
- Non-repeatability: ≤ 0.01% FSO
- Zero Balance: ±3% FSO
- Creep (30 minutes): ≤ 0.03% of load
- Zero return (30 minutes): 0.01% of load
- Moment sensitivity: 0.014% FSO/inch
- Ultimate moment: 175% of maximum moment
- Load cell material: Aluminum, stainless steel
- Load cell finish: Anodized aluminum, stainless steel
- Safe overload: Compression 150% FSO, Sideload 30% FSO
- Ultimate overload: Compression 300% FSO, Sideload 100% FSO
- Deflection: Variable
- Weight: Variable
- Input impedance: 400 ±15 ohms
- Output impedance: 350 ±3 ohms
- Cable length: Variable
- Cable termination: Finished conductors
- Cable seal: Epoxy; conformal
- Excitation Voltage: 10 V AC/DC (15 V maximum)
- Insulation resistance: >5000 Megohms
- Cable color code: + Excitation (green), – Excitation (black), + Signal(red), – Signal (white), Shield (natural)
- Temperature, operating: -22 to +160°F (-8 to +71°C)
- Sealing: IP67, multi-redundant, limited immersion tolerance
- Temperature, compensated: 14 to +104°F (-10 to +40°C)
- Temperature, storage: -40 to +170 °F (-40 to +77°C)
- Temperature effects (Output): < 0.0008% of Rdg. /°F (< 0.0014%Rdg. /°C
- Temperature effects (Zero): < 0.0015% FSO/°F (< 0.0026% FSO/°C)
Its dual cantilever design makes it insensitive to bending moments and offers extremely high accuracy and stability, while aluminum construction ensures lightweight and low cost
The Evolution of Single Point Load Cell
A single point load cell is among the most precise weighing equipment worldwide.
In regards to other load cells or force sensors, a single point allows force to be applied at different points without falsifying the measurement results.
Moreover, it ensures accurate weighing measurements by the integrated parallelogram.
It serves thousands of high-precision weighing applications and is primarily used by plant engineers for manufacturing industries and for installation on industrial scales.
The History of Every Load Cell
In 1856, Lord Kelvin was the man behind the mechanism of a load cell, he discovered the electrical resistance of iron/copper wires increasing when they are subjected to tensile stress.
Later, Kelvin laid the foundation of strain gauge technology. That strain gauge technology, later on, became the basis for today’s high-tech single-point load cells/
Today, strain gauges have become an indispensable component for every industrial weighing equipment worldwide.
The ergonomic and exceptional design with an integrated parallelogram of single-point load cell is what sets it apart from other load cells.
With the parallelogram links and the resulting ability to precisely weigh loads off the platform, a single point load cell offers great value for a wide range of industries and applications.
The High-Precision Nature of Single Point Load Cell
The two parallelogram links of a single point load cell which are fixed on both sides of its base body define its structure.
A pair of strain gauges are attached to each link. The parallelogram links are deformed in an s-shape when force is applied due to the thin spots.
Furthermore, its rectangular basic shape becomes a parallelogram link structure that ensures that off-center loads are compensated and that the load is always applied vertically.
The Basic Material for Single Point Load Cell
Stainless steel or aluminum are the two basic materials for single-point load cells for use in various applications with different environmental influences.
High-grade aluminum alloys exhibit high strength combined with low creep effects under load.
It helps eliminate any time-/temperature-dependent viscoelastic or plastic deformation under load.
Most importantly, high-grade aluminum alloys are the best base body material for single-point load cells.
The low aging properties of aluminum at typical operating temperatures -20° to 65° C increase the quality of load cell which also affects its performance.
Moreover, aluminum helps single point load cells achieve higher measuring accuracy as compared to stainless steel. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is extremely corrosion resistant to chemicals and improves the properties of single-point load cells against environmental influences.
Aluminum can be anodized to also improve the properties against environmental influences. Regardless of the choice of base body material, however, it’s extremely important to protect strain gauges to ensure accurate measurement results.
Protection of Strain Gauges
The strain gauges of single point load cell can be protected through silicon or metal encapsulation and this choice depends primarily on the environment in which the load cell will be used.
If its primary use is to operate in dry environments, metal encapsulation is a better option, or if the influence of moisture plays a subordinate role in the environment, silicon encapsulation is sufficient.
Strain gauges can be metallically encapsulated by being implemented in the area of the parallelogram links or with an additional deformation body.
Encapsulated single-point load cells featuring stainless steel as the base body material are predestined for environmental conditions with high demands on the degree of protection (up to IP69).
The foil of strain gauges is completely encapsulated in metal that increases their life-cycle, performance, and resistance against humidity to maintain accurate measurement results.
Application Areas of Single Point Load Cell
The most common applications of single point load cells are the following:
- Static Checkweighing: It offers highly accurate results for manual and automatic weighing processes in classic tasks such as Checkweighing.
- Dynamic Checkweighing: Single point load cells can take 100% control of the load to create productive reports and eliminate any chance of incorrect measurements in dynamic weighing processes.
Single Point Load Cell with Overload Protection
Single point load cell is extremely popular in critical industrial environments because of its high accuracy, high reliability, and extended overload protection.
It can perform exceptionally accurately in industrial applications because it can accept an off-center load.
Single-point load cell features easy side mounting characteristics and ergonomic design that makes it ideal for OEM applications.
Moreover, it can hold ten times the capacity that can take place during installation due to its extended overload protection.
At CUBLiFT, our manufactured single-point load cells are modified/customized to meet your specific requirements and highlight the following:
- Ideal for OEM applications
- Built-in overload protection
- In both tension & compression
- Strain gauge based
- 1000 Ohm high resistance bridge
Our single point load cells are specially designed for the creation of single-sensor weighing platforms.
Our expert team of engineers manufactures high-performance single-point load cells with ergonomic design, extended capacities, and enhanced precision.
Furthermore, we offer one of the most extensive load cell ranges in the industry at a competitive price.