● Model: LS-500
● Weighing Range: 0.5
●Platform Size: 1.0*1.0*1.0m (Custom)
● Materials: alloy steel
● Display: A12E/A27E/A23P
● Adjustable Swivel Feet
● Waterproof Junction box
● Model: LS-1000
● Weighing Range: 1 ton/1000kg/2204lbs
●platforms: 1.2*1.2m (Custom)
● Materials: alloy steel
● Display: A12E/A27E/A23P
● Adjustable Swivel Feet
● Waterproof Junction box
● Hog Sheep Goat Scale with cage
● Model: LS-3000
● Weighing Range: 3 ton/3000kg/6614lbs
● Size: 1.5*1.5*1.0m platform(Custom)
● Materials: alloy steel
● Display: A12E/A27E/A23P
● Adjustable Swivel Feet
● Waterproof Junction box
● Side-opening gate
Livestock Weighing Scale – FAQ Guide
Table of Contents
What is the livestock weighing scale?
A livestock weighing scale is an electric weighing machine for animals. It is used to measure the weight of all types of animals. Livestock weighing scales are very easy to use; no extra effort is required. This livestock weighing scale provides an accurate result, saves time, and helps you grow your business.
Where is the livestock weighing scale are used?
Livestock weighing scales are generally used to weigh large animals like horses, cattle, sheets, etc. So they are used in dairies, cattle farms, and all other types of livestock farms where animals are kept. It is important to weigh their measure their accurate weight regularly. Veterinarians who specialize in farm animals also use this scale very much because not every ordinary weighing scale can measure these large animals so perfectly. Farms that trade livestock for profit also use livestock weighing scales. In those farms, this machine is handy because it is very durable, time-saving, and can withstand the harsh conditions of the farm. Since the body of this scale is polished with rust-protected materials, the farm management doesn’t have to worry about it can use it in any condition. Apart from that, livestock weighing scales are also used in zoos because it is also imperative to monitor the weight of zoo animals for zoo management. This scale can also be used while vaccinating or giving treatment to the animals.
What is the use of livestock weighing scale?
It is used to measure the weight of animals; you can measure the weight of that animal that is small in size and light in weight, but what if you want to measure the weight of a horse or a cow? At that time, you need a measuring instrument that can measure an accurate weight. The livestock weighing scale comes here with very high accuracy and a comfortable process of using an animal of a heavyweight and big size.
Advantages of using livestock weighing scale?
Farming is a big business, and no one wants to get lost. Every owner wants to give complete attention and care to the animals. In this regard, regular weight checking is also considered one of the most essentials of the to-do list. And there, you need a machine like a livestock weighing scale to measure the weight. There are many advantages of using this machine at your cattle farm. Here are a few of them:
- Monitoring: When animals get sick, you might have no idea what they are going through unless you get them to the doctor. But you can make sure if they are okay by checking their weight using a livestock weighing scale. There is a high chance of a change in the weight of animals if they get sick. And this is one of the practical and correct ways to make sure of it immediately. And if you see any change in the weight, you need to have a veterinarian. If any disease or sickness is found, you better treat the animal as soon as possible to eliminate the illness spreading; and save other animals on your farm from the disease.
- Breeding decisions: By checking the weight of animals, you can figure out what is the perfect time to bread. You can even figure out if the animal is not eating correctly for many days. Set a precise time for breeding is suitable for animals’ health, so it is suggested to weigh them regularly and set a fixed breeding time for them.
- Feeding quantity: By checking weight, you can also figure out that when you should change the animal’s diet, you should either increase or decrease it. Or, if you want to change the weight of your animal proposedly by diet, a slight weight change can only be determined by using a machine-like livestock weighing scale.
- Breeding strategy: Different breeds have different effects on the body and weight of animals. By checking weight regularly, you can quickly determine which breed is most effective and which makes the animals gain weight fastest. This is how you can have comprehensive information regarding animals’ diet, especially regarding genetic selection, which means pulling out underperforming animals and cross-breeding the strongest performing animals.
- Optimal weaning time for calves: To wean the animals at the right time is so important, and at a certain age, all animals have to wean out, and that time can figure out by weighing them regularly. The weight can give you an idea of an animal’s future growth, and then you can set a breed accordingly.
- Saves time: The process of weight animals doesn’t take much time. You don’t need to waste much of your time by using other strategies. You just make your animal step up on the machine, and the device can display the weight.
- Easy to use: The process of using this machine is so simple, even any non-technical man can use it.
- Save the record: Your farmers can weigh regularly and save the data, which will help them figure out any animal’s health status.
Disadvantages of using livestock weighing scale?
There are not many disadvantages of using livestock weighing scales, but a few cases can lead you to trouble, so here are a few of those cases and instructions.
- Inaccuracy: When it comes to the inaccuracy, this machine can be harmful as well; let’s see If your animal is fine, but the inaccuracy of the livestock weighing scale shows the drop in weight, which can misinterpret the former and that can lead to the lousy breeding of the animal which is even more dangerous. So, it is essential to check the accuracy every time before checking the weight, whether your livestock weighing scale provides accurate reading or not.
- Lack of power: The livestock weighing scales are battery-operated and can’t be used when the batteries are not charged. And in many areas of the countryside, if you face a lack of electricity, you might face some trouble while operating the scale.
How is the livestock weighing scale manufactured?
The lower and upper frames of livestock weighing scales are manufactured by strong stainless steel and aluminum materials. And then, a load cell is to be installed on the lower rack. The load cell is the actual instrument that is responsible for measuring. The upper frame is to be fixed over the load cell, which is fixed over the lower frame. Don’t forget to fix all the nut bolts properly and perfectly so that the upper frame is at an equal level at each side and accuracy is maintained. And then, the cover is installed over the upper frame. In the end, side frames are fixed as a precaution. The display LED is connected by wire to the load cell, and your scale is ready to be used.
This is just a general approach to manufacturing the livestock weighing scale. But suppose you want to manufacture a scale of a different size or a different model. In that case, you can go for a different approach.
Is the livestock weighing scale strong enough for animals to stand on it?
Yes, the frames of the livestock weighing scale are strong enough to carry a strong animal. But you have to keep in mind that there are different sizes and models for different categories of animals. Don’t mount a large animal on a small size scale. That can be problematic.
What is load cell in livestock weighing scale?
The load cell in the actual brain of livestock weighing scale. It is responsible for measuring weight; it converts the pressure into digital signals and displays the weight on the LED. There are different types and sizes of load cells used for different sizes and types of scale.
What material is the case of livestock weighing scale manufactured of?
The case is made up of stainless steel or aluminum, which are also suitable for rust protection. And, of course, a rubber mat is also mounted to add comfort for an animal to stand on it. Rubber mats also make the cleaning process more manageable and can easily be hosed down and washed when necessary.
What is the load cell made up of?
The load cell body is usually made up of solid metal like aluminum, alloy steel, or stainless steel, which makes it very strong and durable.
Is the sheet strong enough for animals to stand on it?
Yes, the sheet is strong enough for animals to stand on it; it provides accurate pressure to the load cell. And the mounted rubber mat offers comfort to the animals.
Is the sheet of livestock weighing scale too slippery for animals?
The rubber mound or the firm floor of the scale is not slippery at all. The base of scale is comfortable to stand on and quite frictional, which does not allow the animal to slip or fall.
What is the purpose of side grills?
The side grills play an essential role because if the animal is nervous or facing this first time, it keeps moving and might try to escape. These side grills do not allow the animal to move much; it makes the animal feel stable. It can also protect the user if the animal is not in a good mood.
How can you see the weight measured by the livestock weighing scale?
The load cell is connected to the LED, which displays the accurate result in kilograms. While in modern livestock weighing scales, you can connect your scale to the internet and get the result on your mobile phone application. You can get a graph of the data, which helps you analyze the status of your farm and animals, which you can send to the farm management and save for further activities.
What does the LED/LCD display when the weight exceeds the capacity limit of the livestock weighing scale?
Not in every scale but in most scales; the LED/LCD displays “O-LD” when the weight exceeds the capacity limit.
What is the accuracy of the livestock weighing scale?
Accuracy is one of the most critical things in the weighing scales. To get the accurate weight is the real purpose, and if your scale can give the correct result, your scale is useless. Many technologies and techniques like cutting edge electrons with specialized alloy stainless steel load cells are used to maintain high accuracy.
1% error is accepted in all sizes of cattle scales. Livestock weigh scales have an average button that determines almost correct weight even when the animal moves on the platform. So, if you are weighing an animal of around 500kg, you might get the difference of approximately 5 kg.
In which cases do the livestock weighing scales displays an inaccurate result?
There could be many reasons to lose accuracy. Any mismanagement in maintenance or not taking proper care of the scale can cause inaccuracy. And inaccuracy is not acceptable in any case, so it is imperative to understand what factors cause the inaccuracy to remove those factors.
It has been seen that there are four categories of major factors which cause inaccuracy in scales. Those are listed as:
Many environmental factors cause the inaccuracy of scale that includes:
- Vibration: A vibration on the platform or surroundings can cause the misinterpretation by sensitive load cells, as a result, they provide an incorrect reading. That’s why you shouldn’t place your scale near to any motor which can generate vibration.
- Shock loading: Load cells are extremely sensitive; they can damage if you drop anything exceeding the maximum capacity limit. So Don’t ever throw anything on the scale’s platform. And also, safely weigh your animal because a jump of heavy animals can damage the load cell and other components, and you can get an incorrect reading.
- Wind loading: Air winds can also disturb any type of scale, even on indoor scales, and if you are weighing animals, you would probably face an outdoor wind which can affect the accuracy.
- The difference in air pressure: If you calibrate the scale and use it in different environments, the air pressure of both atmospheres is distinct. That can also affect the accuracy; though the difference would be so slight, it is still there.
- Unclean scales: If the scales are not cleaned regularly, dirt will accumulate on the platform, making a small weight. And suppose you don’t clean your scale periodically and have been used in a dirty environment for a long time. In that case, there might be a cloud of significant dust accumulated underneath the platform and on the load cell. Which are also reasons to get affected the reading.
Accuracy of the load cells
The load cell is the most crucial part of the scale, and the accuracy of the load cell is vital for you if you want error-free readings. Any malfunctioning in the load cell can result in inaccuracy. Some parameters can affect the load cell.
- Temperature: The load cell is temperature-sensitive. Your scale can provide you with an inaccurate reading; if it is placed in sunlight or for a long time or faces temperature variations.
- Hysteresis: When you measure the exact weight twice, it makes a difference within the range like it increases from zero in the first measurement and decreases the max scale limit in the second measurement. This also creates an inaccuracy.
- Creep: If you keep a load over the platform for a long time, the load cell starts reading incorrectly. As a result, we get inaccuracy.
- Non-linearity: non-linearity also affects accuracy. The curve in the load cell’s calibration curve shows non-linearity. Maximum the deviation of the curve, less the linearity, and accuracy.
- Non-repeatability: Your scale might experience inaccuracy if you measure the same load again and again in the same manner.
- Response time: Response time is when a load cell takes to settle, read and provide the accurate reading. Suppose there is mismanagement in timing or there is little time available for measurement. In that case, your scale might give an inaccurate result.
As we put pressure on the platform by leading the animal, the load cell feels the pressure. It sends an electrical signal, converted into a digital number by a weight controller and displayed on the screen. Any interference in this process can lead to show an inaccurate result. And there could be many interferences that can affect this process; here are the few:
- Temperature: The resistance in the wires of the digital meter can vary with the temperature variation. So, if the temperature increases, the wire resistance also increases, which can cause the voltage to drop; the result we see on the screen might not be the actual result. This interference is determined mainly in new scales as they start providing inaccurate results. That’s why the most accurate result is high-temperature stability.
- Moisture: Over time, a condensation or moisture build-up on the load sensor can interfere with the electrical signal sent from the load cell to the screen. That can affect the output and show us an inaccurate reading.
- RFI and EMI: RFI and EMI can create a signal of noise that can add up into the input signal. This is also one of the interferences which causes inaccuracy.
Many things matter on how you lead your animal on your livestock weighing scale. It is a proper way of it might create some error. So here are a few general things every livestock scale user should keep in mind while loading or unloading.
- Make sure that the body or the mounting structure of your scale should be capable enough to support the weight of the animal and its own components without any flexing.
- If the animal is not properly standing on the platform, it can also be inaccurate. That’s why it is highly recommended to keep up your side fence when you load your animal on the platform. Because if side fences are not kept up, the animal can quickly move around or place its legs out of the platform, creating an error.
- Make sure your platform is connected with the load cell from each side and edge to maintain accuracy. Suppose any part of the edge is missing with the proper connectivity with the load cell; the load or animal is on that part; in that case, this will throw an inaccurate result.
Suppose the scale is being used indoors and kept safe from any interference. In that case, it can lose its balance and accuracy if used regularly for a long time. So, it is highly recommended to keep maintaining your scale so that you can get a perfect reading of your animals.
What are the three main factors of the digital meter of your livestock weighing scale you should highly consider?
If you have an animal farm or are a pet lover, you must have a livestock weighing scale. But at the same time, you should know the mechanism behind this weighing process so that you can diagnose and detect any problem if it occurs. There are tiny factors that affect the results; a few of those factors are here:
The first factor which is very important to know for you is resolution. It is actually the value that tells you how close your scale can read to the actual value. The less the resolution is, the better.
The second factor is precision, which your machine needs all the time. Suppose you are weighing an animal again and again, and you are getting a different reading each time. In that case, that means your precision is relatively low, while if you’re getting the same result each time, that means you have good accuracy.
To get high accuracy, you need high precision and high resolution. These three factors are significant for your scale to maintain accuracy. If anyone from these factors is low, the accuracy will be low.
How to test the performance and status of the digital meter of your livestock weighing scale?
If you have a scale that doesn’t require high precision, you can check the status by using any load with known weight like dumbbells to test your scale.
First of all, place your scale on a flat surface. Set the scale to read zero, and then remember the object with known weight like dumbbells on it. If you are getting an accurate result, then your scale is perfect for operation. Still, if you are getting an inaccurate result, you are supposed to adjust the scale and get the correct weight of the object by calibration. Or, if you don’t want to go through the calibration process, just compensate by correcting the reading with an error factor every time.
You are supposed to test it multiple times if you are checking the precision. Evaluate whether the result is the same every time or how close the results you are getting if it is not the same. Suppose you get a wide difference in readings. In that case, that means the precision is very low, and your scale needs calibration or repairing.
You can further check the status of your scale by checking it at different times and different temperatures throughout the day. You might diagnose more errors in this way.
In what cases can the digital meter of my livestock weighing scale display an error message?
In some cases, your scale indicated you need attention by displaying an error message. You need to know what do those error messages mean:
ERR: Your scale might display ‘ERR’ to indicate the error. This message appears when the weight exceeds capacity or can’t make the proper contact with the animal’s feet. This message can also be displayed if the platform is not properly in touch with the load cell.
LO: You can see this message on the screen as well, which means your scale’s battery is about to be useless. If you are using your battery for a long time, you can expect this message. And this is like the last warning for you to change the battery.
Out2: In some scales, the error message of ‘out2’ can be seen, which means the load cell required re-calibration.
How to remove errors from the digital meter of your livestock weighing scale?
First of all, make sure what error message is displayed on the screen. If it is a valid error of weight exceeding or battery replacing indication, you can solve the problem. But if the error is unknown, you should remove the battery and re-insert it. The error will be gone.
What type of animals can you weigh by using a livestock weighing scale?
There are different sizes and models of scales for measuring animals. The livestock weighing scale is mainly used to measure the animals like cattle, horses, pigs, etc. So, any type of animal that weighs between 1 to 10 tons can be weighed by livestock scale.
How would you know that your scale is broken?
If the platform of your livestock weighing scale is broken from inside, you might get some signs; here are a few of them:
Unclear scale reading: If you can read the display properly or see the show is blurrily burnt out, it is a sign that your scale might be broken from inside. This mostly happens when the electronic component or the display of your scale is damaged. The moisture can also cause this issue, and a change of display might be needed.
Inconsistent reading: If you notice an incorrect reading of your scale while measuring known weight multiple times, you should go for the calibration firsthand. But suppose the problem is not solved yet. In that case, there could be any damage inside the digital meter of your body of livestock weighing scale.
Fluctuating or drifting reading: Instability in the readings can also indicate any damage. You might see a constantly changing result if any mechanical or electronic component is damaged. Any jump of a heavy animal or cause spring damage can lead you to this problem. You can also notice a drift in the result while keeping the weighing on the platform.
Corrosive reading: Rust or other corrosive damages may also create some problems. If the rust is accumulated in your mechanical parts, it prevents the body parts from moving correctly. The load cell would not be able to read the correct weight. This is mainly caused by moisture, and if you don’t clean your scale, this rust can damage. This is one of the visual signs that indicate that your scale is damaged from inside. This is not happing in the new models as they are polished to protect against rust.
Turning On or OFF: If your scale is not turning on, you need to change the batteries and clean the battery cleaner, but if after changing the batteries the issue is still there, then it is a sign that the electronic part of your scale is broken.
Display malfunction: If your screen is not displaying anything, this is a clear sign of display malfunction. If your livestock weighing scale is not water-proof and you have been using it in rough conditions at farms, this is a high chance that water is the cause of this problem. You should always go for a water-proof scale. At the animal farm, you would probably face rough conditions and water to contact with your scale. Extreme temperature also creates such problems.
In those conditions, if you could troubleshoot the scale and detect the problem, go for it. But if the problem is not found, you should change the scale and don’t risk your business and animals’ life at your farm.
How often should you calibrate your livestock weighing scale?
Calibration frequency depends on many factors. The first important point you should always consult is the manufacturer’s recommendation. All scales are manufactured indifferently, so it would be better to follow their recommendation.
If you are using your scale multiple times in a day, or every day of the week, then it requires more calibrations than the scale used only a few times in a week. So, if you are using your scale frequently, you should calibrate it often as well.
It also depends on what surrounding your scale is placed or being used. If your scale is set in a dusty area or can come in contact with water quickly. Or suppose your scale is placed where it can face vibration, any mechanical shocks, or electrical interference. In that case, you should go for more frequent calibrations.
And the last factor is to consider how accurate weight is essential for your business. If you have a livestock weighing scale for a large animal and get an accuracy difference of 2-5 kg, you might not mind it. But if you are weighing small sizes of animals, you would not afford a slight inaccuracy. So the calibration frequency sometimes depends on your need as well.
Some scales are calibrated once a month, some are calibrated once a year. In contrast, some scales are calibrated daily to maintain accuracy.
Is the livestock weighing scale wide enough for large animals?
There are small and large models and sizes of livestock weighing scales. You should know the sizes of your animal must consider the size of the scale before buying. If you have large animals at your farm, you could go for the large size of scale.
And don’t make the mistake of selecting the wrong scale for your farm. And if you have a small size of animals and you buy a large extent of scale, that would probably be a waste of your money. And if you have a big size of animals and you buy a small scale, that would not be useful to you.
How much weight can the livestock weigh scale measure?
The smaller livestock weighing scale can measure in the range between 1 to 3 tons, while the large scale can measure up to 10 tons.
What is the process of weighing animals on a livestock weighing scale?
The process of weighing animals is so easy. Entrance and exit gates are provided for your convenience. Keep the side fenced folded up, entrance gate open, and exit gate closed; this is how all the animal legs will be on the floor while the process; the animal won’t be able to move much. You just need to lead the animal on the scale from the entrance gate. As the animal step up on the scale, you can see their weight on the digital meter. And when you are done, open the exit gate so that the animal can step down.
Why is the livestock weighing scale significant for dairies?
Weighing the animals is very important for farm management because there are many factors in animals’ bodies and health that can be determined by measuring their weights. And many machines can be used for that purpose, but sometimes your animal is nervous or not in a good mood. So, in that condition, it becomes complicated to handle the animal and weigh in properly. If the animal is nervous, it will keep moving, and you just can’t get results efficiently. In that case, the livestock weighing scale is effortless to use because it is manufactured keeping all those factors in mind. The side frame/grills can support the animal, and the animal doesn’t get much nervous. And even if the animal moves a bit around on the scale, you will get an accurate result. So, no matter if your farm is large or small, it is vital to have a livestock weighing scale at your farm.
What is the weight of the livestock weighing scale?
Livestock weighing scales come in different sizes. The small sizes can be of 40 kg while the weight of large size of scale can be up to 220 kg. So obviously, it depends on the size and the model.
Can you easily carry or move livestock weighing scales from one place to other?
If you have a portable model, you can easily separate the side fences and fold them; it will be half of its actual size and can be easily carried away. But there are some scales that you can’t fold or fixed on the ground, and you can’t move them quickly.
What are31 the types of scales used to measure animals?
There are different types of scales used to weigh the animals. The primary purpose of all scales is the same, but they are different in terms of size, shape, and features. Here are a few of them.
- Farm bars: It is the most basic scale used in farms. It is easy and convenient because they can be placed under cages and platforms used to weigh animals. You can say it is a basic form of livestock weighing scale. These types of scales are constructed from steel which made them durable and weather-proof.
- Floor scales: It is a stationary scale that provides an accurate result. These scales can be carried away easily.
- Single animal scales: This is also called a livestock weighing scale; a complete platform with side fences ensures an accurate result. It is the easiest and most effective way of weighing the animal. You can only measure the weight of one animal at a time. This type of livestock weighing scale comes with different models and sizes.
- Full-size livestock scales: This is just an up-gradation of a single animal or livestock weighing scale. In this type of scale, a group of animals can be measured. In this type of scale, you are provided with a bigger platform and a high capacity. This also helps to measure the fatty or heavy animals you might not weigh on a single animal scale.
What is the difference between livestock weighing scales and farm bars?
The significant difference between these two scales is their shape. The farms’ bars are two bars on which any platform is to be connected to weigh animals. These two bars are associated with a digital meter. While in livestock, you are getting a platform with side fences to reduce your effort.
What is the difference between livestock weighing scales and floor scales?
The main difference between livestock scales and floor scales is their shape. You are provided with a complete platform with sidebars in livestock scales, while in floor scales, you don’t see any bar. Floor scales might be suitable for weighing animals of small sizes but not for large animals as it lacks the sidebars that play an essential role in standing the animals on the platforms.
What is the difference between single animal scales and full-sized livestock weighing scales?
These two scales are the same, just with a size and capacity difference. In a single animal, you are provided with a platform for weighing a single animal at a time; while infill size livestock, you are getting a bigger platform to weigh a group of animals. You can even weigh a heavy animal on a full-size livestock scale. There are no more forms of single animal scale. Still, you can have a couple of more forms of livestock scale such as stationary mechanical scale, ring scale, or a mobile group scale. If you want to get a type of full-sized livestock, you must consider why you need it? When do you need it? And where will you use it? Because these types are different from each other in terms of their usage. Livestock ring scales are stationary; you can’t use them anywhere. While the mobile group livestock scale is portable and can be used anywhere, this also allows you to measure the weight of more than one animal anywhere. You can also attach your mobile farm scale to a trailer and read the measurement as long as they are placed on a firm surface up to 6% grade.
Why is there a need to have a livestock weighing scale at dairies?
The livestock weighing scale is actually an investment to the farm. It makes you always ready to diagnose if any animal is suffering from any disease. It saves your time to figure out the proper breed, the time of breed, and any other care if any animal requires. It gives you surety regarding the health and fitness of your animals. It doesn’t only measure the weight but also keeps the standard of your farm high.
How to clean a floor of a livestock weighing scale?
Make sure the type of your scale. If it is not washroom safe, sweep the dirt away using a brush, use a towel to wipe the scale with water and soap or mild cleaner. But if your scale is washroom safe, you can scrub them with soap and then wash it with water to remove any dirt or debris.
Can we use a human scale to weigh livestock?
Yes, you can If you have a small animal like a cat or rabbit. But you must use the livestock weighing scale to measure the weight of the animal. Because the animal is not so easy to measure like a human, and we humans know that we must not move while weighing our weight. Still, animals are not aware of it, so that’s why livestock weighing scales are used, which have features that eliminate any error caused by animal movement. Also, the cattle, horses, and pigs are heavier than human and human scales standards.
How to calibrate livestock weighing scales?
Calibration is one of the most critical and most complicated parts of the process. If the setting is reset or you find any error, you must calibrate the scale to weigh accurately. Calibration is done in digital meters, and the procedure is almost the same in all scales. Still, the buttons and modes are different in all scales; that’s why it is impossible to mention the calibration of all scales; so here are a few of the steps of the primary and general calibration, which are almost the same in all scales:
- Place your platform on a flat surface. Don’t leave anything around the platform to ensure a safe and accurate operation.
- It there is anything placed on the platform, remove it.
- Attach the scale which you want to calibrate.
- Turn on the indicator and wait till it finishes the configuration process.
- Press the button “Tare”.
- Use the directional buttons or if through 1-9 digits or if you are provided with a numeric keypad, use it and type a correct password.
- After inserting a password press “Tare”.
- The word “noLoad” should be displayed on the screen.
- Turn the “load1” by using the directional button.
- Now you have to set a test object’s required weight limit by using directional buttons. Go to advance to the next number. Press “Tare” to confirm the limit of weight needed.
- The screen will display “load”, you can now place a weight on the platform. And then press the “Tare” button.
- As you will press “Tare”, the setup procedure begins. When it is finished, the indicator will display the currently required weight on the platform.
What does the livestock weighing scale require to power up?
The load cell and digital meter need the power to run; it is chargeable, so you can use a battery or directly connect them with the 240 volts.
What is the length of the livestock weighing scale?
It totally depends on your model, but most models are 1-1.8 meters long in length.
What is the width of the livestock weighing scale?
The width varies from 0.5 to 2 meters in livestock weighing scales.
What is the height of the livestock weighing scale?
You will find a height between 1.2 to 1.5 meters on most livestock weighing scales.
What are the extra features in the livestock weighing scale?
Some modern models are coming with additional features, like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB connectivity. They allow you to connect them with their respective software applications. Some models allow you to create animal profiles. You can keep and manage the record digitally. You don’t need to keep the paper record for any animal anymore. And suppose you are connected to the internet. In that case, you can calculate and manage the history easily with the google sheets interface. You can have the facility send and receive the farm status to and from the farm management or owner.
If you have a large farm or cattle herd, you would definitely need a pretty speedy scale. Because it takes a lot of time to measure even just 100 sheep. So, you would need a scale that displays the reading and saves it in record as soon as the animal leads on the platform. New models with that feature and precious high sensor allow you to let the animals pass one by one. The scale will keep weighing and saving into the record. And you could see the whole history at the end of the operation. This saves a lot of your time and energy. This will also remove any confusion and human error when having digital records instead of writing everything on paper.
Animal shaking-free sensors are being used in new models, which display accurate results, whether the animal is stationary or moving on the platform.
Is the height of the livestock weighing scale is so significant for animals to step up on it?
No, the platform of livestock weighing scales is built low profile so that animals can step up on it quickly. The average size of the platform is 10 to 12 cm in most livestock scales.
Is the edge of the side fence being too sharp for animals?
Edges of side fences are built to provide complete safety to the animal and the user. The advantages of a side fence are rounded so that it doesn’t harm the animal or the user.
Will the movement of animal effect on the result, while measuring the weight of animals by livestock weighing scale?
The latest models contain new technology and a strong sensor that can calculate the accurate weight even if the animal moves on the scale.
What are the critical factors you should consider while purchasing or selecting a livestock weighing scale?
Whether you have a small cattle farm or large herd, you probably need a livestock weighing scale for your form. But before buying the best scale, you should consider a few factors so that you can choose the best scale for your business. Because livestock weighing scales come up with different models, features and facilities. Here are a few of those factors you should have a look at:
Stationary, portable or mobile livestock weighing scales:
Mobile livestock weighing scales can be hitched to any truck and be easily transported to the herd. You can use these scales at multiple sites. 10 animals can be weighed at a time. These scales are highly used in many countries where business is done based on weight because these are legal for trade scales. In these scales, the load cells are attached to the four sides of the platform. You can apply or remove the load from the load cell by using a manual lift/lower lever system. The low-profile platform is just 6’’ off the ground when the scale is in weigh-mode. It features an independent air ride suspension which enables the scale to be moved in and out of weighing mode by simply adjusting its air pressure.
Shrink is used in animal trade, which means the amount of weight an animal loses while traveling to an off-site scale. So, while selling, minimizing the shrink factor is the most essential factor to consider to maximize the outcome. Because if you are selling 100 heads of cattle, you will face an 8% shrink if you weigh your animals on an off-site scale, and eventually, you will lose thousands of dollars. It has been researched that if an animal is weighed on the site, the shrink factor is reduced by 6%. And by using portable or mobile scales, you lessen the shrink factor by 2%. Eventually, you will increase the profit by 5-6%. This is an essential factor to consider before deciding between stationary or portable scales.
Mechanical and electronic load cell weighing:
Suppose you want to purchase a stationary livestock weighing scale. In that case, you have two options: a mechanical or a load cell weighing scale. Mechanical is a bit old and traditional scales, where you got a lever weighing system. The mechanical weighing scale is the most economical and non-preferable in today’s times. While load cell scale comes up with new technologies and features that allow you to get an accurate result. Load cell scales are a bit costly than mechanical scales.
Floor surface choice:
There are many options when it comes to selecting the floor surface. There are many flooring features in the latest models for perfect footing properties. You can have a concrete deck surface or X-lug flooring discarded from rubber and plastic. X-lug floor is scrap and rot-free. It protects against bacteria and moisture and provides the best traction for animals, especially in wet conditions. Wood and steel are also used in the manufacturing process of the platform of many scales, and that one is economical too. You must consider what type of floor platform suits your business before selecting.
You should consider the wash-down capability; livestock scales aren’t easy to clean or wash, which let down the performance. But there is livestock built with superior surface and allows you to wash down frequently in any condition.
There are different models with different gate systems; some livestock scales contain two-end gates with easy closing latch, while others have only one entrance.
Some latest models of livestock scales feature an indicator that is very helpful for farming. This feature can track the shrink capability and count the number of animals passing out through the scale when you weigh a complete herd. Some portable scales have weighed centers mounted on them and print out the record and ticket of legal for trade.